Free Garmin map updates are available and if you want to download free map updates for Garmin GPS sat navs then our short and easy to understand guide will tell everything about Garmin free map updates that are official, reliable, and accurate.
This independent advice will work for any owners of Nuvi GPS and Zumo motorcycle GPS products and if want to update your maps for free we can show you just how easy it is to download this up to date content direct from Garmin - meaning it will be 100% official and reliable.
Free Garmin GPS Map Updates
Garmin offer free map updates as part of their nuMaps Guarantee. The nuMaps Guarantee lets customers get a Nuvi map update for free and state that:
“Simply connect your new Garmin Nuvi or Zumo to your computer and visit www.garmin.com/mapupdates within 90 days of first acquiring satellites while driving with your device and you’ll be able to see if a free map update is available.”
What this essentially means is Garmin will offer the customer a one-off map update for free within the first three months of them owning and using their Nuvi GPS. It is a very good offer and downloading free Garmin map updates has never been easier. You can download free Garmin map updates if:
- You connect your GPS to your computer and visit www.garmin.com/mapupdates within 90 days of first receiving a satellite signal (in other words using it in your car).
- Or if a more recent map than the one that came with your Nuvi is released within the 90 day period from the point you first piced up a satellite signal.
How to Download Free Garmin Map Updates
The process of using the nuMaps Guarantee offer is very simple. On the Garmin site, in the Update Maps section make sure you choose the option labelled nuMaps Guarantee. You will then be prompted to enter the serial number of your Nuvi or Zumo GPS.
After some clever checking, the Garmin website will prompt you to either access your existing myGarmin account or create one. Once you have done this you can access your free map updates for Garmin GPS products in a few easy steps:
- Login into your myGarmin account with your Nuvi connected via a USB cable.
- You will see notifications under the Home tab telling you what free map update options are available for your registered GPS product.
- To download a free Garmin map update click “order now”.
- Click on “Get Free Update”
- Select from the options available including; download or disk (we prefer the map download option as it’s quicker and easier).
- Once you have clicked the download option, the Garmin Map Update application will start to download to your PC or Mac. Save it to your desktop and then once it’s fully downloaded you will need to double-click on it.
Installing Garmin Free Map Updates
Assuming that you have downloaded the Garmin Map Update application to your desktop, you will then need to run this program. The next few steps do not take too long, and the map update application will lead you through the whole process.
In a very short overview though, the following needs to happen:
- Make sure the Nuvi GPS is connected to your PC via a USB cable.
- Run the Garmin Map Update application by double-clicking on it.
- Select the Garmin Nuvi GPS that you want the free map update to be installed on.
- Accept any license agreements that present themselves (should be a tickbox).
- You might now need to enter the product key from your device.
- Providing you have sufficient room on the GPS you will be asked if you are ready to update your maps, so please accept this message box.
- The rest of the process will be easy to understand questions and once you have accepted them all the free Garmin map update download and installation will start.
Free Map Updates for Garmin GPS
Once you have installed and downloaded free Garmin map updates you will be able drive safely and secure in the knowledge that you have authentic and relevant mapping on your Garmin Nuvi GPS. Please note that the nuMaps Guarantee offer only applies to one product and cannot be used with any other Garmin device.
We recommend that you always download free map update for Garmin GPS direct from the manufacturer, purely because you can then be assured that what you are downloading will not damage your product in anyway, or invalidate any warranties you might have.
Please note that if you are not eligible for free Garmin map updates then we have also dedicated a section on this website for standard Garmin map updates. They start at very low and cost-effective prices so it should be possible for you to get a new map update either for free or for nothing at all.
If you don’t own a Garmin Nuvi, but just want general information on automobiles, then please click here for the latest car news.